ASTRO’s 59th Annual Meeting was held September 24-27, 2017, in San Diego. View a summary of media coverage here or visit the conference program here.
News Briefing 1: The Science of Radiation Oncology: Innovative Approaches
Moderated by Brian Czito, MD
- Adding radiation to chemotherapy may dramatically improve survival for advanced-stage NSCLC patients (news release, slides)
- International trial confirms safety, effectiveness of high-dose brachytherapy plus pelvic radiation for cervical cancer (news release, slides)
- Radiation-immunotherapy combination can slow tumor growth for some patients with metastatic late-stage cancer (news release, slides)
- Long-term survival rates more than double previous estimates for locally advanced lung cancer (news release, slides)
- Biomarker blood test predicts survival following localized lung cancer treatment (news release, slides)
News Briefing 2: Quality Care in Radiation Oncology: Refining Treatments
Moderated by Paul Harari, MD, FASTRO
- Phase III trial confirms pelvic radiation as standard of care for high-risk, early-stage endometrial cancer (news release, slides)
- Aggressively reduced radiation therapy for HPV-related throat cancer achieves similar control rates with fewer side effects (news release, slides)
- Accelerated breast radiation therapy following mastectomy shortens treatment time while maintaining tumor control (news release, slides)
- Immune response prognostic for prostate cancer survival, recurrence and response to radiation therapy (news release, slides)
News Briefing 3: The Healing Art of Radiation Oncology: Patient Well-being
Moderated by Brian Kavanagh, MD, MPH, FASTRO
- Breast cancer patients largely find radiation therapy experience better than expected (news release, slides)
- Uninsured cancer patients saw increased coverage for care following Medicaid expansion (news release, slides)
- Study at urban cancer center finds 75 percent of its depressed patients were previously undiagnosed (news release, slides)
- Distress associated with missed appointments and hospital admission during cancer treatment (news release, slides)
ASTRO’s Annual Meeting is the nation’s premier scientific meeting in radiation oncology. In 2017, the meeting is expected to attract more than 11,000 attendees including oncologists from all disciplines, medical physicists, dosimetrists, radiation therapists, radiation oncology nurses and nurse practitioners, biologists, physician assistants, practice administrators, industry representatives and other health care professionals from around the world. Led by ASTRO President Brian Kavanagh, MD, MPH, FASTRO, the 2017 meeting is organized around the theme, "The Healing Art and Science of Radiation Oncology."
More than 2,800 abstracts sharing results from clinical trials and other research studies will be presented in conjunction with educational sessions and keynote addresses that underscore the meeting’s theme, "The Healing Art and Science of Radiation Oncology." Keynote speakers include:
- Richard D. Zane, MD, FAAEM, Chief Innovation Officer for the University of Colorado Health System (Monday, September 25)
- Lucy Kalanithi, MD, FACP, widow of Paul Kalanithi, MD, the best-selling author of "When Breath Becomes Air," with Heather Wakelee, MD, her late husband’s oncologist (Tuesday, September 26)
- Vinay K. Prasad, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University (Wednesday, September 27)
During the four-day meeting, more than 200 exhibitors will demonstrate cutting-edge technology and medical device innovations for radiation oncology.
ASTRO news briefings will highlight top-rated abstracts presented at the Annual Meeting. The final press program, including speakers at each briefing, will be announced in September.
Registered press working remotely will be able to access live audio and slides from the news briefings and ask questions virtually. All presenter slides, high resolution photos and an audio recording will be posted here following each briefing.
Corporate Member Virtual Press Room
ASTRO provides an exclusive virtual press room for academic, public and private institutions presenting research at the 2017 ASTRO Annual Meeting. Email ASTRO’s media relations team with any questions about the Corporate Member Virtual Press Room or view the Corporate Member Virtual Press Room Guidelines.
Institutional Virtual Press Room
ASTRO provides an exclusive virtual press room for academic, public and private institutions presenting research at the 2017 ASTRO Annual Meeting. Email ASTRO’s media relations team with any questions about the Institutional Virtual Press Room or view the Institutional Virtual Press Room Guidelines.